What if my child gets homesick?
The key to dealing with homesickness is to prepare the child in advance. Some suggestions are:
- Ask a close friend or relative to register for the same camp sessions your child is attending.
- Have your child spend the night with friends or relatives.
- Discuss what camp will be like before your child leaves home and discuss any concerns.
- DO NOT tell your children that you will rescue them if they do not like camp.
- Assure your child of your love.
- Send along a favorite stuffed animal.
- Do not go into great detail about what the child may be missing at home.
If, despite all efforts, your child does become homesick:
- Acknowledge your child’s feelings.
- Reassure your child of your love.
- Reassure your child that camp is an opportunity for children to grow, mature and gain independence.
- Do not mention how much you miss your child.
- Do not let them know you are homesick for them, too!