Space Camp® launched in 1982 to inspire and motivate young people from around the country to join the ranks of space pioneers.
Just four years later, the major motion picture, "Space Camp," helped catapult the explosive growth of a small youth camp in north Alabama into a cultural icon and global brand. This year marks the 30th anniversary of the "Space Camp" movie, and we are celebrating by adding an 80s flair to our Space Camp Summer Fest!
Never made it to Space Camp? Now's your chance to sample astronaut training and hang out with like-minded people passionate about space!
Space Camp or Aviation Challenge Camp alum? Come relive your memories of camp, reconnect with friends, and applaud the accomplishments of fellow alumni!
Is the 1980s your favorite decade? This is THE monster 80s party of the summer of ’16! Join us as we look back to the storied history of the Space Camp® programs, celebrate the important milestones and influential people, rock out to 80s music and memories, and look forward to the next big steps in space exploration.
*Space Camp Hall of Fame members
Schedule of Events:
Thursday, July 14:
- Head over to the Davidson Center for Space Exploration from 4:30 - 7:30 p.m. for Biergarten. Enjoy the festive atmosphere and German food with imported and domestic beers and delicious wines from the German region. It’s family-friendly and leashed dogs are welcome, rain or shine! If you’re an alumnus, come reconnect and learn about what the Space Camp Alumni Association is doing and how to get involved! This event is open to the public. A portion of the proceeds from this Biergarten event will be donated to the Space Camp Hall of Fame Scholarship Fund. Several current members of the Space Camp Hall of Fame will be onsite to mix and mingle!
Friday, July 15:
- From 12:00 - 2:00 p.m. or 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Come join Larry B. Scott (a.k.a. Rudy Tyler) and Harry Winer (the director of Space Camp the movie) for a special screening of "Space Camp," and hear all about what it was like to make the movie. It will be shown in the National Geographic Theater from 4:00-6:00 p.m. to launch our Summer Fest celebration! As an added bonus, we will share two rarely seen cast interviews that are sure to take you back in time.
- ($30) From 6:30 - 10:30 p.m. party to the max at the Marriott! Enjoy sipping cocktails, munching some grindage, and rocking out to live music by “the world’s best 80s experience,” The Molly Ringwalds. And if you’re really amped, come dressed in your favorite 80s threads, you may win our best dressed contest…..prize included!. It will be most triumphant. The Space Camp alumni community and Hall of Fame would like to sincerely thank the Marriott for being a proud sponsor of the evening’s event!
* Heavy appetizers
* Cash bar
* Ticket to this party is included in Countdown Special or All Access Weekend Pass purchase
* Ticket can be purchased separately online or at the door
Saturday July 16:
- ($15) From 10:30-11:30 a.m., join Dr. Deborah Barnhart, CEO of the U.S. Space & Rocket Center, and Ben Chandler, Chairman of the Space Camp Alumni Advancement Board, as they host this year’s Alumni Town Hall Brunch. This is a terrific opportunity to learn more on how to engage with programs supporting Space Camp and Aviation Challenge Camp, meet and network with other alums, and honor our special guests, Marshall Space Flight Center retirees.
- Dive with Astronaut Abby in Space Camp's UNDERWATER ASTRONAUT TRAINER (Saturday 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.) – $100 Per Diver
Join Astronaut Abby for an out-of-this-world experience and #TrainLikeAMartian in the underwater astronaut trainer. Abby is a 19-year-old aspiring astronaut with a goal to be part of the first crew to Mars. At 15, she founded a worldwide outreach program to excite and educate kids and adults about space and STEM. Three years and 1/2 million social media followers later, she launched the 501c3 nonprofit called The Mars Generation (TMG) to continue her work. Only 9 spots available, BUY NOW!
Get an extra dose of inspiration by training with Astronaut Abby. You will even receive some special TMG swag too!
*Participants must be age 14 or older. Participants under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Certain restrictions, including asthma, insulin-dependent diabetes, epilepsy and some heart conditions, etc., may prohibit diving.
*After ticket purchase, ticket holders will receive an email with the Underwater Astronaut Trainer Release and Medical From attached.
- Enjoy special screenings of "Space Camp," the movie, and 80s IMAX® films: “Hail Columbia” and “The Dream is Alive!”
National Geographic Theater
- 11:00 p.m.
- 1:00 p.m.
- 3:00 p.m.
Saturday evening, join us from 5 - 8 p.m. for dinner and help us honor and welcome the next class of inductees to the Space Camp Hall of Fame - Sponsored by Orbital ATK. Now in its ninth year, the Space Camp Hall of Fame was established to honor outstanding members of the Space Camp family, including graduates and former employees who have distinguished themselves in their respective careers and also friends of the Center who have made considerable contributions to further the goals of the Space Camp programs. The evening includes special guest speaker, Miles O’Brien, the awards ceremony, buffet dinner and silent auction.
We are pleased to announce the selection of three outstanding individuals who make up the 2016 class of the Space Camp® Hall of Fame: Jason Hopkins, an aerospace engineer and business development specialist at Masten Space Systems and a former NASA Fellow; Dr. Amy Kaminsky, Senior Policy Advisor, Office of the Chief Scientist, NASA; and George Whitesides, CEO of Virgin Galactic and The Spaceship Company.
In honor of the 30th anniversary of its release, the Rocket Center is also inducting the cast of “Space Camp”, a movie that launched the dream of attending Space Camp for thousands of children. Larry B. Scott, who played Rudi Tyler in the movie, will accept the induction of the cast into the Space Camp Hall of Fame.
- CONCERT IN SHUTTLE PARK- $39
Saturday, July 16
8 p.m. (Gates open at 7 p.m.)
A celebration of the 80s would not be complete without the original soundtrack. Join us for the Totally 80s Concert in Shuttle Park. We’ve pulled out all the stops for our second annual concert, and it’s only fitting. After all, the 80s were BIG. BIG HAIR. BIG SOUNDS. BIG STARS. The first is up to you - but we’ve got you covered on the latter! Join us as Eddie Money, Mickey Thomas from Starship, Yacht Rock Revue, and special guests Bill Champlin, formerly with Chicago, Robbie Dupree, and Jeff Carlisi, formerly with .38 Special take us back to the decade that had it all. This promises to be the show that folks will be talking about for years to come!
*Food and beverages will be available for purchase
*This is a rain or shine event. No refunds will be given.
Lodging and Travel
Space Camp has partnered with the Huntsville Marriott (located on the U.S. Space & Rocket Center campus) to offer a special rate of $92 / night for guests attending the 2016 Space Camp Summer Fest. To reserve your room(s) click here or call (888) 299-5174 for assistance.
Space Camp has partnered with The Westin Huntsville
(located at Bridge Street Town Centre) to offer a special rate of $159 / night for guests attending the 2016 Space Camp Summer Fest. To reserve your room(s) click here
or call (256) 428-2000 for assistance.
You can purchase an All-Access pass for the weekend or mix and match activities to create your own customized Space Camp Summer Fest experience.
GET TICKETS HERE